Chicken, Chorizo and Tortilla Stoup
The terrific blend of flavors in this stoup is even better the second day!
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 pound chorizo sausage (in packaged meats case near kielbasa at the grocery store)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 small red potatoes, diced
- 1 can fire-roasted chopped tomatoes (15 ounces), such as Muir Glen brand
- 1 can dark red kidney beans (15 ounces), drained
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 sack red or blue corn tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack or smoked cheddar
- Suggested garnishes: chopped scallions, chopped cilantro or fresh thyme leaves
Pre-heat medium soup pot over medium-high heat.
Chop tenders into bite-size pieces. Wash up after handling raw meat, then season chicken with salt and pepper.
Dice chorizo. Add EVOO and chicken to pot. Lightly brown chicken two minutes, then add the chorizo and garlic. Cook another 2-3 minutes, then add peppers, onions and potatoes. Cook five minutes, then stir in tomatoes, kidney beans and hot sauce. Add chicken stock and bring soup to a bubble.
Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10-12 minutes. Ladle soup into shallow bowls and top each bowl with a generous handful of crushed tortillas and cheese. Melt cheese under hot broiler. Garnish with scallions and herbs.