Chicken, Sausage and Escarole ‘Stoup’
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 3 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage with fennel, casings removed
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large or 2 medium heads escarole or stemmed Tuscan kale, coarsely chopped, about 8-10 cups packed greens
- A few grates nutmeg
- A chunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese rind
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skin and bones removed, meat pulled into bite-size pieces
- Juice of 1/2 lemon and grated cheese, to serve
Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon EVOO, a turn of the pan. Add sausage and brown then remove to plate with a slotted spoon to drain.
Add more EVOO to the pot, 2 turns of the pan, and sauté onions and garlic to soften. Season with salt and pepper then wilt greens into the onions. Season with a little nutmeg, add cheese rind, stock and beans, and bring to simmer. Add sausage back to pot and stir in chicken. Simmer until ready to serve, add lemon juice and remove from heat.
Serve in shallow bowls topped with grated cheese and a drizzle of EVOO.