Chicken Souvlaki and Tzatziki Sauce on Garlic Naan
Try Rach’s take on this favorite Greek classic of chicken tenders and cucumber-yogurt sauce on garlic naan.
- 1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, peeled and shredded on a box grater
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Juice of 2 lemons, divided
- 4 cloves of garlic, grated or minced, divided
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken tenders, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 pieces garlic naan
- Sandwich fixins: Chopped romaine, diced tomato, chopped Greek hot peppers and chopped red onion.
Place the cucumber in a strainer. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 20 minutes. Press out the liquid.
Meanwhile, in a large resealable plastic bag, combine the EVOO, half of the lemon juice, three-quarters of the garlic, the parsley and the oregano. Season the chicken with salt and pepper; drop into the bag and let marinate for 10 minutes while you pre-heat the broiler.
Scatter the chicken across a broiler pan and broil, turning once, until charred and cooked through, 10-12 minutes.
Heat a griddle over medium-high heat. In a food processor, puree the drained cucumber, yogurt, remaining lemon juice, garlic, mint, coriander and cumin; season with pepper.
Splash a little water on the griddle and add the naan, two at a time. Cook, turning once, to crisp up, about 2-4 minutes.
Pile the chicken onto the naan and top with the fixins and tzatziki sauce.