Chili con Carne
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), corn oil or vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 rounded tablespoon chili powder (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning (a palmful), such as McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin (a palmful)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander (half a palmful)
- 1 bottle lager-style beer
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 can chunky-style crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about two tablespoons. When the oil ripples, add the ground sirloin and crumble the meat as it cooks, about three minutes. Add the onion and garlic, chili powder, grill seasoning, cumin and coriander. Cook another five minutes.
Add beer and cook another minute, stirring to loosen any bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the stock and tomatoes, and bring to a bubble. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Serve with your favorite chili toppings.