Chili Lime Fish Fry
- 4 tilapia fillets
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (a couple of palmfuls)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (2/3 palmful)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder (2/3 palmful)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 cup vegetable, canola or safflower oil
Season the fish with salt and pepper. Arrange three shallow dishes. Put the flour in one dish and add the eggs to the second dish. Combine the breadcrumbs in the third dish and season with 1 tablespoon lime zest and the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and thyme. Coat the fish in the flour, then the egg and then the breadcrumbs.
Heat the oil, about 1/4 cup, in large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. If your pan is not large enough to fry four fillets in a single layer, heat the oven to 275°F and put a cooling rack on a baking sheet. As you fry the fish, transfer them to the rack in the oven to keep warm. Fry the fish until deeply golden and crispy and transfer to a serving platter. Season with a little extra salt, top with lots of lime juice and serve.