Chipotle Queso with Pumpkin Seeds and Honey
Rachael spices things up with a unique and nutty starter that’s balanced with a drizzle of honey.
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 tablespoon chipotle in adobo, pureed
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup queso fresco
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Tortilla chips, regular and/or blue corn, for serving
Place an oven rack in the top third of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 500°F.
In an 8-inch, cast iron skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion with the garlic in EVOO until soft and slightly caramelized. Add the chipotle puree, some salt and the cilantro.
Spread the onion in an even layer across the bottom of the skillet, top with the shredded cheese and place in the oven for 20 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.
Remove from the oven and pour the excess oil off the top. Sprinkle with queso fresco, toasted pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of honey. Serve with tortilla chips.