Chunky Roasted Tomato, Potato and Garlic Soup
Roasting develops the flavor of veggies in this simple, satisfying and hearty tomato soup.
- 1 bulb garlic, end trimmed to expose cloves
- About 1/3 cup extra virgin olive (EVOO) for liberal drizzling, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 3-4 pounds ripe heirloom, plum and/or vine-ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2-3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- About 1 cup fresh basil, torn
- Freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Pre-heat the oven to 425ºF.
Drizzle garlic with some EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Wrap tightly in a foil pouch and roast for 35-45 minutes, or until light golden and tender.
Prick the skins of the potatoes several times with a fork and roast to tender alongside the garlic, 50-60 minutes.
Arrange the tomatoes on a large baking sheet and drizzle with EVOO. Season with thyme, salt and pepper and roast in the center of the oven until the skins burst and they’re charred at the edges, 35-40 minutes.
Squish all the roasted garlic cloves into a large bowl and add the cooked potato flesh. Drain in the juice from the tomatoes and mash to combine, then add the tomatoes and mash with a potato masher. Add the mixture back to the pot with the stock to thin the soup a bit and add the torn basil. Serve in shallow bowls with lots of cheese.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, visit