Chutney Chicken One-Pot
Try this magic medley of fruit, veggies and chicken.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs and/or breasts, cut into large chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dark or golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- Crusty whole grain bread, for mopping
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, for 5 minutes on each side; transfer to a plate. Add the butter to melt, then add the parsnips, onion and apple; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the apricots, cranberries, raisins, vinegar, ginger, cumin, allspice and cinnamon, scraping the pan. Stir in the chicken stock, apricot preserves and mustard and lower the heat. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer until the dried fruit is plumped, about 5 minutes. Serve with the bread.