For a complete meal, serve with Chicken Satay Stir Fry with Orange-Scented Jasmine Rice and Thai Cucumber and Radish Salad.
- Canola or safflower oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (eyeball it)
- 2 pinches ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder, available on spice aisle
- 1 lime
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pound large, fantail shrimp, deveined and peeled – if your fish counter won’t do this for you, ask for easy-peels (deveined raw shrimp in shell) and just slide the shells off when you bring them home from the market
Heat two inches of oil over medium-high heat. A cube of bread should brown in a count to 10 when the oil is ready.
Season breadcrumbs with salt, cayenne pepper and five-spice powder. Cut the lime into wedges and reserve.
Toss coconut with seasoned breadcrumbs to combine. Lightly beat the egg whites. Dip shrimp in the egg whites, then coat with the coconut breading. Fry the shrimp for 5 minutes in hot oil until evenly golden and crispy. Garnish with lime wedges and serve.