Crabby Bow Ties with Corn, Bacon and Jalapeño
Nothing says summer better than this crab, corn and bacon pasta!
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound farfalle (bow tie pasta)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or canola oil
- 6 slices lean smoky bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 jalapeño chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 ear corn, grilled or roasted, kernels scraped, or 1 cup frozen fire-roasted corn kernels, such as Whole Foods’ 365 brand, thawed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound lumb crab meat
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 small lime, juiced (1 to 2 tbsp.)
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water, add the pasta and cook until al dente
Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-high. Add the bacon; cook until crisp, 2-3 minutes. Add the onion, chili peppers, garlic and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables soften, about 2 minutes. Add the corn and wine; cook until the liquid reduces slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in the stock; reduce the heat to a low simmer.
Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water. Melt the butter into the sauce, then stir in the crabmeat and cooking water, if needed, to loosen the sauce. Season with the Old Bay. Off the heat, toss the sauce with the pasta, lime juice and parsley. Divide the pasta among bowls and top with the scallions.