Deluxe Turkey Club Burgers
A sassy ranch dressing is delicious on turkey burgers with bacon, lettuce, tomatoes and – surprise! – radishes. Serve with Tots with Chipotle Ketchup.
For the burgers:
- 12 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey, 93% or 85% lean
- 4 cloves garlic, pasted or minced
- 3-4 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 teaspoons cumin (2/3 palmful)
- 2 teaspoons coriander (2/3 palmful)
- Salt and pepper
For the ranch dressing:
- 1 1/2 cups regular or low fat sour cream
- About 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- About 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- About 1 tablespoon each finely chopped dill, parsley and chives (about 1/4 cup total)
- Salt and pepper
- 12 slider rolls, such as brioche dinner rolls, split, or 6 hamburger rolls
For the toppings:
- Shredded or chopped romaine or iceberg lettuce
- Sliced plum or vine-ripened tomatoes
- Thinly sliced radishes
Pre-heat oven to 375ºF. Place the bacon on a rack arranged over a baking sheet or on a slotted broiler pan and bake until crisp; reserve.
Place the oil, about 2 tablespoons, in a bowl with the turkey, garlic, grated onion, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Form six large patties or 12 slider-size patties, making them a bit thinner at the center than the edges for even cooking and a flat, even appearance once cooked.
For the ranch dressing, combine the sour cream with lemon juice, hot sauce, herbs, salt and pepper. Taste to adjust the seasonings.
Heat a griddle, grill pan or cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Cook large patties for 5-6 minutes on each side, or slider patties for 3-4 minutes on each side.
Serve the burgers on buns topped with bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, radishes and some dressing. Serve Tots with Chipotle Ketchup on the side.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.