Deviled Frittata and Heavenly Angel Hair Pasta
Serve with Drunken Citrus Salad.
- 1 pound angel hair pasta
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery and greens from the heart, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green olives and pimiento, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika, plus more for garnish
- Black pepper
- 2 rounded teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 12 large eggs
- 3/4 cup cream
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup Pecorino Romano, a very generous handful
- 10-12 basil leaves, torn or shredded
Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. When it comes to a boil, salt the water and cook angel hair pasta to al dente, 5 minutes.
Heat 3 tablespoons EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and gently cook 5 minutes. Do not caramelize the onions just let them get translucent and sweet. Add celery, garlic and olives and season with paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir in mustard and hot sauce.
Beat together the eggs and 1/4 cup of the cream (eyeball it) and pour into the pan. Stir in the parsley and let the eggs settle and form a foundation, as you would for an omelet.
Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until golden, 12 minutes or so. Garnish with the paprika after you remove the frittata from the oven.
Heat the remaining EVOO in a deep skillet over medium heat, 2 turns of the pan. Add shallots and cook 5 minutes. Add zest and wine then reduce a minute or so more. Add the remaining 1/2 cup cream, reduce 2 minutes. Add 2 ladles of starchy cooking water from the pasta to the sauce pot just before draining.
Toss pasta with cheese and season with salt and pepper.
Transfer pasta to a bowl and garnish with a large amount of fresh basil. Yum-o!