Firecracker Deviled Corn Dogs
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- Frying oil, enough to go 2 1/2 inches up the sides of a long or wide pot or pan, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons (2/3 palmful) Coleman’s dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons (2/3 palmful) paprika
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) cayenne pepper or 1 tablespoon hot sauce, added to eggs and milk
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) onion powder or granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 8 all-natural beef or pork hot dogs
- 8 8- to 10-inch bamboo or wooden skewers, trimmed so they fit in the pot
- BBQ sauce and yellow or jalapeño mustard, for dipping or drizzling
Heat oil to medium to medium-high heat for frying. Preheat oven to 250°F.
Sift flour, sugar and baking powder into a bowl and combine with salt, pepper, mustard, paprika, cayenne (if using), and onion and garlic powders. Stir in cornmeal.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, hot sauce (if using) and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry with a wooden spoon until smooth.
Pat hot dogs dry, thread them on skewers then dip to coat in the batter. Fry 2-3 dogs at a time in the hot oil to deep golden all over, 4-5 minutes. Drain cooked dogs on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet and keep them warm in the oven as you finish the rest.