- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Two 6-ounce cans tuna, drained
- 4 ribs celery from the heart, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped Sicilian green olives
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 4 thick slices crusty Italian bread
- 1/2 pound fontina cheese, shredded
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the broiler. In a bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and anchovy paste. Gradually whisk in the EVOO. Mix in the tuna, celery, onion, basil, olives and capers; season with pepper.
Lightly toast both sides of the bread on a baking sheet under the broiler. Rub one side of each slice with the garlic; cover with a quarter of the tuna salad. Top with the cheese and melt under the broiler.