French Dip Brisket
Use a crock pot to slowly simmer the brisket in a broth with bacon and seasonings. The result will be fantastic French dip sammies!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 slices smoky bacon, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 pound crimini mushrooms, wiped clean and quartered
- 2 cups beef stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 loaf bread, cut into 4-inch sections, split and toasted
- Sliced Swiss cheese
- Flat leaf parsley, chopped
Place a large skillet over medium heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add the bacon to the pan and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon and reserve on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Return the skillet to medium-high heat with the bacon fat. Season both sides of the brisket with salt and pepper and sear on all sides until golden brown, 3-4 minutes per side.
While the meat is searing, add the reserved bacon, onion, garlic, bay leaf, mushrooms, beef stock or broth, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and honey to the crock of a slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add the seared meat to the pot and cover. Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 7-8 hours, until the meat is tender.
Thinly slice the brisket. To serve, dunk the bread into the sauce and top with brisket, Swiss cheese, cooked veggies, more juice and parsley.