French Onion Dip Pizza
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 ball fresh pizza dough
- 1 cup crème fraiche or sour cream
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, chopped
Pre-heat the oven to 450ºF.
Place a large skillet over medium heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and gently cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and deep golden brown, about 25 minutes.
While the onions are cooking, stretch the pizza dough out to the size of your pan (you can use a baking sheet or round pizza pan, whatever you have). Transfer the dough onto the pan and bake until set and very light golden brown, about 15 minutes.
When the onions are ready, season them with salt and pepper, and stir in the crème fraiche or sour cream. Spread the mixture over the pre-baked pizza crust. Sprinkle the cheeses and thyme over the pizza and return it to the oven. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 10 minutes. Serve a romaine salad with a Dijon vinaigrette alongside.