Greens and Andouille
- 1 pound spicy, bitter greens such as mustard or dandelion greens
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3/4-1 pound andouille sausage, chopped or crumbled, parcooked or fresh
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cider or wine vinegar
- A sprinkle of sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Nutmeg, freshly grated
Heat a pan with a few inches of water over medium heat. Bring to a boil, season with salt, to taste, and add the bitter greens. Cook for a few minutes, then drain and reserve.
Heat the EVOO in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat and add the andouille. Brown the crumbles or the chopped cooked sausage, then add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the stock and add the bitter greens. Heat through for a few minutes, then douse with vinegar and season with sugar, salt, pepper and nutmeg, to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.