Grilled Caesar Salad with Poached Eggs
This Caesar salad recipe takes your prep to the grill and adds protein with poached eggs for a creative, brunch-ready dish. Try it with grilled chicken for dinner!
- 1 rounded teaspoon anchovy paste or 4 anchovy fillets, pasted
- About 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 round teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 ripe lemon
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or pasted, plus 2 cloves halved, for rubbing bread
- Salt and pepper
- About 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some olive oil for brushing, or natural olive oil spray and some for drizzling on bread
- A handful of grated Pecorino cheese
- 4 slices ciabatta bread
- 2 large hearts of romaine lettuce, halved lengthwise and cleaned and dried
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 large eggs
Pre-heat the grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
In a large bowl, whisk up the anchovy paste, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon, lemon juice, garlic paste and pepper and stream in the EVOO to emulsify; stir in the cheese.
Char the bread and rub with cut garlic. Drizzle with oil and season with salt.
Spray or brush the lettuce lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill on both sides to mark and char.
Bring a couple of inches of water in a skillet to low rolling boil with the vinegar. Crack the eggs into ramekins, whisk the water in circles to swirl and slide the eggs into the simmering water. Poach for 3-4 minutes for soft to medium eggs.
Serve the charred romaine on plates topped with a garlic crouton, a poached egg and a little extra grated cheese.