Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad
Serving the Cobb Salad this way makes sure that everyone gets the good stuff! The dressing is simple, yet tasty.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (8 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (eyeball it)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 8 sliced bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 hearts of romaine lettuce
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and scooped from skins with a spoon, then diced
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cups white cheddar or Monterey Jack, shredded (or blue cheese, crumbled)
Heat a grill pan or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat chicken breasts with two teaspoons EVOO, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.
Wash your hands after handling the raw poultry.
Grill or pan fry chicken 6-7 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and let rest five minutes.
In a small pot, cover eggs with cold water. Place over high heat and bring water to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, cover the pot and turn off the heat. Set a timer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes are up, cool eggs under cold running water. Peel and chop.
Brown chopped bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drain bacon on paper towels.
Chop three hearts of romaine lettuce and place on a large serving platter or in a salad bowl. Dress chopped lettuce with the juice of 1 1/2 lemons. Drizzle remaining two tablespoons EVOO over lettuce. Season greens with salt and pepper, to taste.
Toss diced avocados with juice of remaining 1/2 lemon, to prevent browning.
Halve chicken breasts and chop the meat.
To serve, arrange rows of chopped chicken, chopped hard boiled egg, crisp bacon bits, diced avocado, diced tomato, chopped red onion and shredded cheese on top of either four individual portions of dressed romaine or one large serving platter.