Grilled Chicken Posole Salad
Lighten up this classic dish by skipping the mayonnaise – with all the other flavors, you won’t miss it!
- 4 chicken breasts (6 ounces each)
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) for drizzling, plus 3 tablespoons, divided
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (about 2/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme or poultry seasoning (about 1/3 palmful)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 12 tomatillos, peeled, rinsed and dried, then coarsely chopped
- 4 Piquillo peppers, drained and diced or 2 roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 3 ribs celery with green tops, chopped
- 1/2 cup drained and chopped green olives with pimientos
- 1 can hominy (15 ounces), drained
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (eyeball it)
- 2 limes, juiced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups broken tortilla chips, any color or variety
Pre-heat grill pan or outdoor grill to high. Coat chicken in EVOO, a generous drizzle. Combine the grill seasoning with cumin and thyme and sprinkle evenly over the chicken. Grill the meat 5-6 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and cool until easy to handle.
While chicken cooks, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add one tablespoon EVOO, about one turn of the pan, garlic and onion; cook together a few minutes then add the tomatillos. Cook together 3-4 minutes, just enough to take the bitter edge off the tomatillo, then remove from heat.
In a large bowl, combine the diced peppers, celery, olives and hominy. Dice and add the chicken. Add the hot sauce and the lime juice to the salad and dress with two tablespoons EVOO (eyeball it). Toss the salad, then add in the tomatillo mixture and combine. Season the salad with salt and pepper to taste, and serve with bits of tortilla chips as garnish.