Grilled Jumbo Shrimp and Pickled “Gazpacho” Roll-ups
This dish, served chilled, is light, fast and delicious and works well for a meal or for entertaining. If you are not familiar with giardiniera, this is a great dish to try it with – it is fabulous with the shrimp.
- 16 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined, ask for easy-peel shrimp at seafood counter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon, juiced, divided
- 1 cup giardiniera (pickled hot pepper and cauliflower salad, found in jars with Italian foods aisle at the grocery store)
- A handful flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 vine-ripe tomato, seeded and chopped
- A few grinds coarse black pepper
- 8 large Bibb lettuce leaves (about one head), outer leaves
Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to high. Place shrimp in shallow dish. Sprinkle garlic over shrimp. Drizzle shrimp with EVOO and season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper. Grill two minutes on each side, until pink and opaque and head curls towards tail. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon over shrimp and remove to platter to cool.
In food processor, coarsely chop the giardiniera vegetables. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the remaining lemon juice, parsley, tomato, and pepper until combined well. To serve, place two shrimp in a Bibb lettuce leaf and sprinkle some gazpacho sauce over them. Roll them up like a mini-burrito and enjoy!