Grilled Meatball Caesar Salad
Meatballs take the place of croutons in this new twist on the classic dinner salad.
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef, pork and veal, combined (you can also use ground chicken)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1 cup roasted garlic croutons, pulverized
- 1/2 bunch parsley (about a handful), chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, cracked away from skin and grated with microplane or small side of box grater, divided
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- A few shots of hot sauce, such as Tabasco brand
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 3 hearts of romaine, chopped
Pre-heat grill or grill pan to high.
In a nonstick skillet, cook chopped bacon pieces over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and reserve.
In a medium size bowl, combine the ground meat with the egg, one clove of grated garlic, half of the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, bacon, crushed croutons, chopped parsley and some salt and pepper.
Mix all ingredients together with clean hands and roll into 12 medium size meatballs, each about two inches round. Drizzle the meatballs with EVOO and grill for about five minutes per side, or until cooked through. If using ground chicken, make sure that the meatballs are fully cooked through.
While the meatballs are grilling, whisk the lemon zest and juice, remaining clove of grated garlic, mustard, anchovy paste, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce together, then stream in the EVOO.
Coat the romaine in the dressing, then season with pepper and a handful of grated cheese to taste. Top salad with meatballs and serve.