Grilled Shrimp Cocktail with Horseradish Cream Dipping Sauce
This recipe takes shrimp cocktail to a whole new level! The sauce is incredible – if you have extra, you can use it on fish, steak or roast beef sandwiches the next day.
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp (about 20 shrimp), deveined, peel intact
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs (3 handfuls)
- 1/2 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (eyeball it)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, for garnish
- 4 leaves hearts of romaine lettuce
Pre-heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
Loosen shells of shrimp and butterfly them, cutting down the devein line of the back of the shrimp. Toss shrimp with one teaspoon coarse salt. Combine melted butter with lemon juice and zest. Using a pastry brush, cover shrimps with lemon butter and set on hot grill. Grill shrimp 3-4 minutes on each side, until pink and firm.
In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, horseradish, half-and-half and salt. Let the half-and-half soak into the bread crumbs, about two minutes. Loosen bread crumbs with a fork. Stir in cayenne sauce or cayenne pepper and combine with sour cream. Spoon equal amounts of sauce into ramekins on individual plates or a dip bowl in the center of a large platter.
Arrange five grilled shrimp down the center of one leaf of romaine lettuce. Serve shrimp with seafood forks alongside dipping sauce.