Grilled Sweet-and-Sticky Chicken, Asparagus and Harissa
Start the grilling season with this sweet and spicy chicken and asparagus dish!
- About 3 tablespoons Tamari (dark soy sauce) or liquid amino
- 3 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave syrup
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- About 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound medium to large asparagus, ends trimmed or peeled
- 8-12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Scallions, very thinly sliced on an angle
- Harissa, thinned with olive oil or hot water or Sriracha sauce, for garnish
Whisk together the Tamari, balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic, fennel seed, red pepper flakes, lemon zest and juice and olive oil. Place the chicken in the marinade and pre-heat the grill to medium-high. Marinate the chicken for 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
Parboil the asparagus in 1 inch of boiling water for 2 minutes. Cold shock and drain well.
Grill the chicken for 12 minutes, turning occasionally. Grill the asparagus to mark evenly, 3-5 minutes. Slice the chicken and layer with the asparagus tips; top with scallions and drizzle with thinned out Harissa or Sriracha, and serve.