Grilled Vegetable Chili
- 2 zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered
- 1 yellow bell pepper, quartered
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps
- 1 red onion, sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- One can black beans (15 ounces), rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup beer
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups shredded smoked cheddar or pepper jack cheese, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Flaxseed or other tortilla chips, for serving
Pre-heat a grill to medium-high. Lightly brush the zucchini, bell peppers, portobellos and red onion with 6 tablespoons EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Cover and grill, turning once, until charred, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Chop into 1/2-inch chunks.
In a large saucepan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the garlic and jalapeños and cook for 1 minute. Add the black beans and heat through. Stir in the grilled vegetables and chili powder; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the beer and cook until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Stir in the vegetable broth and simmer over low heat until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Divide the chili among 4 bowls. Top with the cilantro and cheese and serve with the lime wedges and tortilla chips.