Build a delicious burger with well-seasoned beef patties topped with crispy ham and deli-sliced cheese, plus a homemade tangy special sauce. Serve on grilled or griddled potato rolls.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 sweet relish
- Juice of 1/2 small lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chives, minced
- 8 slices Black Forest ham or your favorite cooked ham
- Canola or olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 pounds 80% lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish or grated fresh horseradish
- 3 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 4 thick-cut deli slices Muenster, Swiss or Gruyère cheese
- Lettuce leaves, sliced tomatoes and thinly sliced red onion, for topping
- Grilled potato rolls
Pre-heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat or prepare an outdoor grill.
Combine the sour cream, ketchup, relish, salt, pepper, chives, lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside.
Griddle or grill the ham to brown, 30 seconds on each side. Fold the slices in half to fit atop the burgers, then reserve.
Combine the beef with Worcestershire, horseradish and mustard. Form the patties thinner at the center and thicker at the edges for even cooking. Griddle or grill the burgers for 8-10 minutes, turning once. Top with the folded ham and cheese the last 1-2 minutes to melt.
Serve the burgers on toasted rolls topped with lettuce, tomato, onion and special sauce.