Italian Chicken Drummers
Strike up the band for these Italian flavored, lemon zested “drummers.” Serve with Crispy Broiled Greens.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 12 chicken drummers
- Salt and pepper
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme, finely chopped
- A few sprigs of rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 stems fresh marjoram or oregano, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- 1 Fresno chili pepper or Italian cherry pepper, very thinly sliced
- 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions, finely chopped
Heat the EVOO and 2 tablespoons butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. When the butter foams, add the drummers and season with salt, pepper and the herbs. Shake the pan and brown the chicken all over (brown in two batches, if necessary).
Add all of the chicken back to the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 15-20 minutes to cook through. Remove the drummers to a warm platter and cover with foil.
Add the remaining butter to the pan and melt. Add the garlic and chili pepper, stir for 2 minutes, then add the zest of 1 lemon and the juice of both lemons to the pan. Swirl to combine, pour over the drummers and garnish with parsley and scallions.