Italian Sausage Burgers with Provolone and Broccoli Rabe
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
These “50/50” burgers are half hot Italian sausage and half beef. Top with broccoli rabe and giardiniera relish, plus potato chips pressed right into the cheese!
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bundle broccoli rabe, trimmed and chopped (1 1/2-inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus a drizzle
- 1 scant teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, homemade or store-bought
- 1 pound 80% lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons grated onion
- 4 thick-cut deli slices provolone cheese
- 1 cup drained giardiniera (hot pickled vegetables), pulse-chopped into a relish in a food processor
- Garlic and/or herb potato chips or salt-and-vinegar potato chips
- 4 5-inch squares focaccia, split horizontally or ciabatta rolls, split and toasted
Bring a few inches of water in a deep skillet to a boil. Season with salt and add the rapini/broccoli rabe; cook 3 minutes and drain. Return the pan to the heat and add the olive oil, three turns of the pan. Add the red pepper and garlic and stir for a minute. Add the broccoli rabe and toss for 2-3 minutes more; adjust the salt, to taste.
Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle pan over medium-high to high heat.
Combine the sausage and beef with the Worcestershire, grated onion, salt and pepper. Form four patties, making them thinner at the center and thicker at the edges for even cooking. Drizzle the burgers with olive oil and cook the patties for 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Top with the cheese in the last minute or two and melt under a foil tent.
Place the giardiniera relish on the focaccia or roll bottoms. Top with a burger patty, some broccoli rabe and potato chips; set the focaccia/roll tops in place.