Italian-Style Croque Madames
Prosciutto, fontina cheese and a fig spread give an Italian feel to these Croque Madames.
- 4 slices good-quality white bread, sliced 1-inch thick
- Fig spread
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus a couple of small pats for frying the eggs
- 1 rounded tablespoon flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 8 slices prosciutto cotto with rosemary
- 1/2 pound Fontina Val D’Aosta cheese, grated
- 4 large organic eggs
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Arrange the bread on a baking sheet and spread a thin layer of fig spread on each slice. In a small skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for half a minute, then whisk in the milk. Season the sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Turn off the heat and stir in the mustard.
Divide the sauce among the bread slices. Top each slice with two folded prosciutto slices and a small mound of cheese, scattering the cheese all the way to the edges of the bread. Bake until golden, 10-12 minutes.
Rinse out the skillet and return it to the stove. When the sandwiches are done, cook the eggs to order in pats of melted butter.
Top each sandwich with an egg and serve.