Italian-Style Monte Cristo Sandwiches
- 8 slices good-quality white bread
- 1/2 cup fig or plum preserves
- 8 slices mild provolone or fontina cheese
- 8 slices prosciutto cotto with rosemary, such as Citterio brand
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (a couple of handfuls)
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cups arugula or baby arugula
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
Heat a large griddle or cast iron skillet over medium heat.
Prepare the sandwiches by spreading four slices of bread with the preserves. Top each slice of bread with a slice of cheese, two slices of folded prosciutto, then another slice of cheese. Spread the remaining slices of bread with Dijon and set in place.
Beat the eggs with the milk or cream, Parmigiano Reggiano and parsley. Nest the butter in a paper towel and wipe it across the hot pan. Dip the sandwiches into the egg mixture and griddle the sandwiches until deep golden, 3-4 minutes on each side.
Toss the arugula with the lemon juice, EVOO (eyeball it), salt and pepper.
Cut the sandwiches from corner to corner and serve alongside the salad.