Jalapeño Popper Dogs
Get real with fiery peppers on “hot” dogs and salsa.
- 6 tofu, beef or pork hot dogs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small red chili pepper, such as a Fresno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 rounded tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2-3/4 cup extra-sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 6 hot dog rolls
- Yellow mustard
- Sliced pickled jalapeños
Hot Dog Salsa:
- Chopped seeded tomato, chopped raw onions and chopped deli pickle
Place the dogs in gentling simmering water to plump and heat through. Serve hot or mark on a hot grill if you prefer crispy dogs.
While the dogs heat, place a saucepot over medium heat. Melt the butter add the peppers and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then sprinkle with flour and cook for 1 minute more. Whisk in the milk and let thicken. Melt the cheese into the sauce and adjust the salt and pepper, to taste.
Place the dogs in rolls, dress with a little mustard, then top with some cheese sauce, pickled jalapeños and hot dog salsa. To serve, cut the dogs across and arrange on platter.