Latin Chicken and Rice Pot
Sazón seasoning, Olive and Pepper Salsa and the Avocado and Garlic Sour Cream spice up a chicken and rice one pot meal with Latin flair!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders, breasts or thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups white rice
- 3 cups chicken stock, available in paper boxes on the soup aisle at the grocery store
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Goya brand Sazón seasoning blend
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 box cup golden raisins (2 ounces or 1/4 cup)
Olive and Pepper Salsa:
- 1 cup Spanish olives with pimentos, drained and chopped
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- Several drops hot sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley (a handful), chopped
- 1/2 lemon or lime, juiced
Avocado and Garlic Sour Cream:
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and flesh spooned from skins
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup sour cream
- Plaintain and corn chips (optional)
Pre-heat a medium pot over medium heat.
Add EVOO and butter. When butter melts into EVOO, add the cut up chicken. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Stir and lightly brown the chicken, then add the rice and cook another 1-2 minutes. Add chicken stock, poultry seasoning, Sazón seasoning, tomato sauce and raisins. Bring the stock to a quick boil, about 2-3 minutes. When the liquid boils, reduce heat to low and cook 13-15 minutes, until rice is tender but still a little chewy in the center.
While the rice and chicken are working, prepare the Olive and Pepper Salsa: combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and adjust the salt and hot sauce to your taste.
Next, prepare the Avocado and Garlic Sour Cream by adding all ingredients to a food processor and processing until smooth. Adjust seasoning, then transfer to a small bowl.
Stir 1/2 cup of the prepared Olive and Pepper Salsa into the chicken and rice mixture. Turn off heat and let stand for five minutes.
Serve the prepared Latin rice and chicken in shallow bowls with spoonfuls of salsa and avocado cream to garnish. Serve any remaining salsa and sour cream with plantain and corn chips for dipping and scooping.