Lemon and Egg Soup
This soup works on its own for a light meal, or serve with Greek-Style Shrimp Scampi and Linguini.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- A pinch of saffron or saffron powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lemon, peeled in strips, plus 4-5 tablespoons juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- A couple drops of hot sauce
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Pita chips, any brand or flavor
Bring stock to a boil with saffron, bay leaf and lemon peel. Cover and steep five minutes, then turn off heat and remove bay leaf and peel.
Whisk eggs and yolks with lemon juice and hot sauce. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the soup to temper the eggs. Whisk the egg mixture into the soup. Turn heat on low and whisk together until soup thickens slightly, 4-5 minutes. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and top with a few pita chips.