Linguine with White Clam Sauce
This quick and easy version of a classic has a light, delicious flavor. You can get creative and choose a variety of pastas to serve it with, such as lemon pepper linguine. Don’t forget to serve with crusty bread for mopping up the sauce!
- 1/2 pound linguine
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4-6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tin flat anchovy fillets (6 fillets), drained
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can whole baby clams (15 ounces), with their juice
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Crusty bread
Put a large pot of water over high heat. When water boils, add salt and pasta. Cook until slightly underdone, about 6-7 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add EVOO, garlic and anchovies. Cook until anchovies melt into the EVOO, then add thyme and wine. Simmer to reduce, about one minute. Stir in clams with their juice and the lemon zest.
Drain pasta, add to skillet and toss with sauce. Cook 2-3 minutes until pasta is al dente and has absorbed some flavor. Add parsley, salt and pepper. Serve with crusty bread for mopping up remaining juices.