Meatballs Three Ways: Meatball Base
- 1 cup torn pieces of stale, good-quality white bread, packed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2/3 pound ground pork
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (a couple of handfuls)
- A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- 1 egg
- A generous handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- A generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
In a small bowl, soak the bread pieces in milk to soften.
Place the meats in a mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and cheese. Squeeze the excess liquid from the bread pieces and crumble them into the bowl. Add the nutmeg, egg, parsley and olive oil and mix well to combine. Form balls according to your method of choice for Rachael’s Mini Meatball Dumplings, Meatball Sliders or Roasted Entrée Meatballs.