Mushroom and Shrimp Noodle Bowls
Make your own take-out meal with this amazing Asian dish.
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound whole wheat or whole grain spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound mixed mushrooms (such as shiitake, hen-of-the-woods or maitake), thinly sliced
- 1/4 head Savoy cabbage, shredded (4 cups)
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 small red chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 pound shelled and deveined medium shrimp
- About 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup Tamari (dark soy sauce) or liquid amino
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat the oil, three turns of the pan, over high heat. Add the mushrooms and stir fry until browned, 3-4 minutes. Add the cabbage, scallions, chili pepper, garlic and ginger; season with pepper. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
Add the shrimp and season with the five-spice powder. Stir fry until the shrimp are pink and firm, about 2 minutes. Stir in the vegetable (or chicken) stock and Tamari (or liquid amino). Lower the heat to medium and cook through.
Transfer the pasta to bowls. Ladle in the shrimp mixture and sauce. Serve with chopsticks.