Niçoise-Style Grilled Tunawich
Top tasty tuna with a terrific green-and-black tapenade, lettuce and tomato for a sensational sandwich.
- 4 eggs
For the green-and-black tapenade::
- 1/2 cup pitted Nicoise olives or other good-quality black olives
- 2 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- A few sprigs of sage
- A couple sprigs each of rosemary and thyme
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or chopped
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- About 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
For the tuna:
- 4 tuna steaks (1-inch thick, 6-7 ounces each)
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 4 brioche or other sandwich rolls
- Dijon mustard (optional)
- Green leaf lettuce or hearts of romaine, chopped
- 8 thin slices of ripe tomato
Pre-heat an outdoor grill, indoor griddle or grill pan to medium-high heat.
Place the eggs in a medium size saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cover the pan, turn off the heat and let the eggs stand for 10 minutes. Crack the shells and peel under cold water, then slice the eggs.
Meanwhile, place the tapenade ingredients in a food processor and pulse-process to form a thick herb sauce.
Drizzle the tuna with EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning once, for 4-6 minutes for slightly pink centers, or 8 minutes for opaque fish.
Serve the tuna on the brioche rolls (Rach likes a little Dijon spread on the bottom bun) with lettuce, tomato, sliced eggs and lots of tapenade to glue the bun tops in place.