No-Joke Spinach-Artichoke Burgers
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey breast
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Zest of 1 lemon
- A couple handfuls of freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, 1 finely chopped and 1 peeled
- One package frozen chopped spinach (10 ounces), thawed and wrung dry in a kitchen towel
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for liberal drizzling
- 4 thick-cut slices of crusty bread
- Four 1/2-inch thick slices of ripe beefsteak tomato
- One can artichoke hearts in water (14 ounces), drained and thinly sliced
- 8 thin slices provolone cheese
Pre-heat a grill, grill pan or large nonstick skillet to medium-high. If using a grill pan or skillet, pre-heat the broiler.
Place the ground chicken in a medium size bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the lemon zest, Parmigiano Reggiano, finely chopped garlic, spinach, thyme and a drizzle of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons, and combine. Form into four patties and cook the burgers until firm and cooked through, about 6 minutes on each side.
If cooking the patties on a grill, place the bread alongside the patties, grill on both sides and remove. If using a grill pan or skillet, broil the bread on both sides until toasted. Rub the toasted bread with the remaining garlic. Place the bread on plates and top with a slice of tomato, then season the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
In the last 2 minutes of the burgers’ cooking time, divide the sliced artichokes evenly among the burgers, then cover each with two slices of provolone. If cooking on the grill, drop the lid to melt the cheese. If cooking on the stovetop, tent your grill pan or skillet with foil. Place a burger on top of each of the tomato slices and serve immediately.