Nono’s Christmas Eve Octopus
This recipe was submitted by user Susan Bryan.
- 1 small whole octopus (about 2 pounds), cleaned
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (32 ounces)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (8 ounces)
- A pinch each of: oregano, black pepper and salt (to taste)
Put the octopus in a large saucepan and cover with water. Boil until the octopus turns bright red and curls up.
Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into small wedges.
Remove the octopus from the water when ready and let it cool for a few minutes. When you can handle it, cut it into bite-size pieces.
In another large saucepot, add 2 tablespoons EVOO and the garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes and seasonings. Add the octopus and potatoes to the sauce and let simmer, covered, for 2-3 hours, stirring occassionally.