Nutty Turkey Meatloaf with Cracked Cranberry and Orange Sauce
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 large organic orange
- 1 bag fresh cranberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 1/2 pounds 94% lean ground turkey
- Salt and pepper
- About 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 8 to 10 sage leaves sage, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons thyme, finely chopped
- Olive oil, for drizzling
Peel orange and cut peel into strips. Juice peeled orange into a pot and add orange peel strips, cranberries, 1 cup water and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat a bit and let berries bubble away until they burst and form a sauce. Remove peel and cool to room temperature or chill.
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat and cook onion, celery and carrot to very tender, 10 minutes. Add sherry or wine and evaporate; cool.
Toast the nuts together in a small pan and cool.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Place turkey in a bowl and season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and cloves. Moisten breadcrumbs with milk and squeeze out excess; add to meat along with the egg. Add chopped parsley, sage, thyme and cooled vegetables, and mix to combine. Form a loaf 4 inches wide and 3 inches tall on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 1 hour in the center of oven.
Slice meatloaf and serve with cranberry sauce alongside.