Pad Thai with Chicken and Shrimp
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili paste, such as sambal oelek
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 cup julienned mixed vegetables (carrots, yellow squash, zucchini)
- 4 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh, sliced into strips
- 12 medium to large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 pound medium-wide rice noodles, soaked in warm water until softened and drained
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Chopped Romaine lettuce, for garnish
- Mung bean sprouts, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Chopped peanuts, for garnish
In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, water, peanut butter, and chili paste until smooth.
Heat a large wok over medium-high heat and add the canola oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and ginger and let cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the vegetables, chicken, and shrimp and stir fry until the chicken and shrimp are browned and cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add the noodles and toss to coat.
Add the peanut/spice paste, brown sugar and cider vinegar and toss to distribute. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Spread the chopped romaine on a platter. Serve the pad Thai on top of lettuce and garnish with mung bean sprouts, lime, cilantro and chopped peanuts.