Parchment-Wrapped Leg of Lamb with Lemon and Black Pepper
- 1 bone-in leg of lamb (about 7 pounds), trimmed of excess fat
- 8 large cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Lots of coarse black pepper and salt
- 1/2 cup mixed chopped herbs: thyme, rosemary, parsley, dill
Arrange a couple of large sheets of parchment paper on a work surface. Set the leg of lamb on top and cut small slits all over the leg meat and nestle in the garlic slices.
Whisk the EVOO and lemon juice together, then rub the dressing all over the leg of lamb. Season the lamb liberally with salt and coarse black pepper and rub with the herbs. Cover with another sheet of parchment. Fold the bottom pieces up and into the top piece to form a packet. Secure with kitchen string and let marinate in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
Pre-heat the oven to 300°F.
Set the wrapped leg of lamb into a roasting pan, resting the leg bone on one corner of the pan to settle the juices under the leg as it roasts. Roast for 3 hours, let it rest for half an hour, then unwrap and carve the meat, serving the roasting juice over the top.