Pearled Farro with Hazelnuts and Greens
Serve this nutritious dish as a side, or topped with grilled chicken.
- 1 cup pearled farro
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/4 pound pancetta or guanciale, chopped
- 4 shallots or 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, stemmed and chopped, or 1 head escarole, chopped
- Freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup cup chopped hazelnuts (a generous handful), toasted
In a small pot, cover the farro with a couple inches of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Salt the water and cook the farro until al dente, 23-25 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO, three turns of the pan, over medium-high. Cook the pancetta until lightly browned, then add the shallots and garlic; cook, stirring, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the kale to wilt, and season with pepper and a little nutmeg. Add the stock and lower the heat.
To serve, combine the farro with the greens. Stir in the lemon juice and hazelnuts, then adjust the salt, pepper and nutmeg.