Petit Fillet with Grilled Caesar Salad
Grilling adds a new dimension to Caesar salad. Serve with anchovy buttered grilled fillets.
- About 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 organic pasteurized egg yolk, beaten (optional)
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for topping
- Coarse black pepper
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce, split
- 4 petit fillet steaks (1 1/2-2 pounds)
- Italian seasoning- or parmesan-flavored pita chips, such as Stacy’s brand, crushed
Pre-heat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan over medium heat. In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO and the butter over medium-low heat until the butter foams. Stir in half of the anchovy paste and garlic and cook for 2 minutes; remove from the heat.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining anchovy paste and garlic, the lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and egg yolk, if using. Whisk in about 1/3 cup cheese and lots of black pepper.
Brush the cut sides of the romaine with EVOO to lightly coat. Grill the romaine until charred, 4-5 minutes.
Grill the meat, turning once and basting with the anchovy butter, for 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice.
Top the romaine with dressing, pita chips and cheese. Serve with the steak.