Philly a la Pizzaiola
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 field peppers or red frying peppers
- 3 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus additional for drizzling
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, lightly crushed in your palm
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white or red wine
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons hot pickled pepper rings, chopped or hot pickled pepper/Hoagie Spread plus a splash of brine
- About 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, to crisp steaks
- 1 1/4 pounds very thinly sliced/shaved boneless rib-eye steak
- Salt and pepper
- Soft Italian hoagie rolls (12-inch sub rolls), split
- 1 ball smoked mozzarella, shredded or 2 1/2 cups shredded provolone
Char peppers under the broiler or over a gas flame then place in a bowl and cover to steam. Let cool, peel and seed them then slice into strips.
Heat a skillet or a saucepot over medium-high heat with EVOO. Add onions, garlic, salt, oregano and chili flakes, and cook to soften, 8-10 minutes. Add tomato paste, stir, then add wine and stir a minute more. Add tomatoes, roasted pepper strips, pickled peppers and brine. Simmer while you cook meat.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add a drizzle of oil to the pan and the steak. Toss and chop meat with a metal spatula or toss with tongs to brown and crisp; season with salt and pepper.
Fill rolls with cheese then top with hot beef and some sauce.