Pickled Onions, Peppers and Cucumbers
Use this topping over burgers, sammies and other dishes, including Bourbon Barbecue Sliced Steak Sliders.
- 2 cups white balsamic vinegar
- 2 rounded tablespoons kosher salt
- About 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 English (seedless) cucumber or 3 medium Kirby cucumbers, sliced
- 2 Fresno chili peppers, sliced into rings
- 4-5 fresh bay leaves
- A handful of fresh dill tops
- A few stems of parsley
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
Bring the vinegar, salt, sugar and water to a low boil and dissolve the salt and sugar. Reduce the heat to low.
Layer the onions, cucumber, chili peppers, herbs and spices into a tight-fitting plastic or glass container.
Douse the pickles with the brine, cover the container tightly and chill for 24 hours or several days, turning occasionally.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.