Get ready for gameday with these amazing pork-and-potato meatballs from Rach! Plus, check out other recipes from Rachael’s Meatball Week!
- 2 large Russet potatoes
- 1 pork butt/shoulder (2 pounds)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 warm lager beer
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 1 1/2 cups cloudy apple cider
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 round tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and finely chopped
- 4 scallions, whites and greens finely chopped
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
Clean the potatoes and rub with oil, salt and pepper. Prick all over with a fork and roast for 50-60 minutes to tender; let cool.
Lower the oven heat to 325°F.
Season the pork with salt, pepper, fennel seed, garlic and onion. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add the meat and brown on all sides. Remove the meat to a plate and deglaze the pot with beer. Reduce by half, then add the Worcestershire sauce, Tamari, cider and rosemary and bring to a simmer. Add the pork, then cover and roast until very tender, 2-2 1/2 hours. Cool the pork completely in the pot.
Once cool, shred the pork, then finely chop and place in a bowl. Add a ladle of cooking liquid and the Dijon. Rice the potatoes and add to the meat along with the egg, cheddar, sour cream, bacon bits and scallions. Mix and roll into 2-inch football-shaped meatballs with two large spoons. Place the balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Raise the heat on the oven to 400°F and roast the pigskin meatballs for 20-25 minutes, until crispy.