Pistachio-Tarragon Pesto Bowties with Peas and Potatoes
Pistachios add a whole new flavor to this pesto!
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound bowtie pasta
- 1 baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh tarragon leaves
- 1/3 cup shelled natural pistachios (a generous handful)
- 1/4-1/3 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon or orange peel
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2/3 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (a couple generous handfuls)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook for 5 more minutes, then stir in the peas for 1 minute and drain, reserving 1 ladleful of the pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, using a food processor, combine the basil, tarragon, pistachios, vegetable broth, garlic and lemon peel; season with salt and pepper. Process, pouring in the EVOO in a steady drizzle, until coarsely pureed. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the reserved pasta cooking water. Add the pasta, potato and peas and toss vigorously for 1 minute to coat the pasta. Top with the cheese and toss well.