Portuguese Casserole Stew
Rach presents a well balanced Portuguese casserole that’s sure to give comfort to your family and friends.
- 1 pound baby potatoes, halved
- 3-4 small ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pimento peppers from a jar, drained
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 small bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked sweet or regular sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 can stewed tomatoes or diced tomatoes with chilies (28 ounces)
- 1 pound Spanish-style dry chorizo, casing removed and cut into slices 2 inches thick
- 4 Portuguese rolls
Pre-heat the oven 400˚F.
Place the potatoes, celery, onions, pimento peppers, chickpeas, kale and garlic in large bowl and season with salt, pepper and paprika. Pour the EVOO (eyeball it) over the vegetables and toss to coat well. Transfer to a large casserole dish.
Pour the tomatoes over the vegetables, then arrange the chorizo on top. Cover and roast for 1 hour, then uncover and bake for 15 minutes more to crisp up the sausage. Serve in shallow bowls with lots of bread alongside for mopping.