Portuguese Chorizo and Kale Stoup
It’s comfort food…Portuguese-style!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound chorizo, casing removed and diced
- 3 medium white, waxy potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
- 1 pound kale, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1 can chickpeas (15 ounces), drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 1 quart chicken broth
- A loaf of crusty bread, warmed through
Heat the EVOO in a deep pot over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and let brown for 2-3 minutes. Add the potatoes, onions, garlic and bay leaves.
Cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with just a little salt and pepper. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes and broth to the pot and bring the soup to a full boil. Add the kale to the pot and wilt the greens, about 2 minutes.
Reduce the heat back to medium and cook for 5-10 minutes longer, until the potatoes are tender.
Serve soup with hunks of crusty bread alongside.